Why I Believe in KMBC: Raising Spiritual Leaders
For several years, as I have represented KMBC, I have been telling people that KMBC is a specialty school that trains youth how to do ministry and how to be spiritual leaders. KMBC is like a spiritual West Point. West Point trains youth to be outstanding leaders in the U.S. Army – KMBC trains youth to be outstanding leaders in the Lord’s Army. This summer, my wife and I vacationed in the North East and visited West Point. It was the high point of our vacation. I was impressed with the many similarities that exist between the two schools. Here is a list of some similarities that I observed.
WAYS THAT KMBC AND WEST POINT ARE SIMILAR
- Time-honored traditions are used as teaching tools.
- The history of the schools is revered; certain things are held sacred.
- The schools have a clearly articulated dress code.
- They seek to develop the whole person, striving for excellence in every area of life.
- Discipline is emphasized.
- The schools strongly emphasize character development.
- Servant-hood and submission to authority are emphasized.
- Leadership is taught and cultivated in students’ lives.
- There is a high code of honor. West Point: “I will not lie, cheat, or steal or tolerate those who do.”
- Noon meals are family style.
- There is a low student-teacher ratio. At West Point it is 10-1.
- There is a lot of hands-on learning.
- The cultures are very structured, with specific rules.
- Staff are expected to be role models.
- Students are pushed hard to excel.
- Change in rules and ethos are implemented with considerable thought and caution.
- The graduates of both schools have had an impressive history of success.
- Both schools have remained true to their original mission – preparing top-quality soldiers for their respective armies.
After I visited West Point I thought, “We must be doing something right to have so many things in common with perhaps the most famous leadership training school in the world.” I was impressed that almost every famous general since the War of 1812 (that I have read about), graduated from West Point. What an awesome impact on our country and our world. It has succeeded in training a host of successful and influential leaders. I am proud that KMBC is seeking to do the same in the Christian world. We are seeking to produce a new generation of Christian leaders who are committed to holy living and have a passion to impact their world for Christ!